A creamy and delicious low calorie fettuccine alfredo made with Neufchatel and parmesan cheeses, tender yet firm fettuccini, and a hint of lemon zest and garlic which iis easy to prepare, ready in less than 30 minutes, and exceptional tasting to the very last bite. For a special twist, throw in some grilled shrimp or chicken. This one is a crowd pleaser!
Ingredients 0(4 Servings)
- Unsalted butter 1 tbsp
- Clove garlic, minced 1 medium
- Grated lemon zest 1 tsp
- All-purpose flour 2 tsps
- Low-fat 2% milk 1 cup
- Kosher salt To taste
- Neufchatel Or low-fat cream cheese 2 tbsps
- Grated parmesan cheese Plus more to garnish 3/4 cups
- Fresh parsley, choppped 3 tbsps
- Fresh fettucine 12 ozs
- Freshly ground black pepper To taste
- Begin by preparing the sauce: Place a large skillet over medium heat and melt the butter. Then add the garlic and lemon zest. Cool for about 1 minutes or until garlic is fragrant and slightly softened. Next, add in the flour and mix well. Cook for an additional 1 minute, stirring with a wooden spoon constantly. Whisk in milk and ¾ tsp. salt and continue cooking, whisking constantly for about 3 minutes or until the mixture has just thickened. Now, add in the Neufchatel and parmesan cheeses and stir an additional minute more or until melted, then stir in the chopped parsley.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over medium-high heat. Add a tsp. of olive oil to keep pasta from sticking. Add in fettuccini and cook according to package directions. Drain, reserving 1 c. of the water, place fettuccini back into the pot.
- Add the sauce and 1/2 c. of reserved water to the fettuccini pasta and toss gently to coat. Add additional reserved water if needed. Season with salt, to taste.
- Place on serving dish and sprinkle with parmesan and pepper (opt.), then serve and enjoy!